Travel safely and independently.
Learn to navigate your community
For people who are visually impaired, the world may seem difficult to navigate. But it doesn’t have to be this way. Our orientation and mobility instructors help to map your life, indoors and out. Our techniques include:
- Orienting you to your home environment and neighborhood.
- Teaching you techniques for walking safely with another person.
- Training you for independent travel using a long white cane.
- Showing you how to safely and independently walk on sidewalks, cross streets, and travel by bus and subway.
- Current technology techniques, such as how to use accessible travel and navigational applications.
Our orientation and mobility instructors partner with you to set and achieve safe, independent travel goals, including how to use the public transportation routes that are most important to you.